Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Don't call him K-Kwik


Here's another vintage interview from thecheappop.com with...

The Whole 'Truth'

TNA wrestler opens up on the WWE, rapping, and Gump?
By Jon Chattman, for thecheappop.com October 2005

Many wrestlers often say they've "made it" when they reach World Wrestling Entertainment's (WWE) annual spectacle: "Wrestlemania." But, some grapplers slip through the cracks, and never make it big in the WWE. Ron "the Truth" Killings is one of them, and he couldn't be happier about it.
Killings, who never quite reached his potential with the then-World Wrestling Federation as K-Kwik, has reestablished himself in TNA. Whether the Charlotte, NC native's finishing off an opponent with an impressive Axe Kick or raising hell and (often hilarity) with his stable the 3Live Kru (with Konnan and BG James), Killings has really come into his own. And now that TNA has signed a lucrative contract with SpikeTV, every one will be able to see one of the best wrestlers in the ring today. We at the cheap pop recently caught up with the former NWA World Heavyweight and Tag Team Champion, on the heels of a huge Oct 23 Pay-Per-View dubbed "Bound for Glory." One thing's for sure, he's not afraid to spill the beans on what went wrong with the WWE, what's gone right for TNA, and oh yeah, how he's been entering the ring rapping long before John Cena through on a retro jersey, and called himself a gangsta. He was also nice enough to put up with our silly questions.
JC: Right off the bat, what went wrong with the WWF? Did they give up on you?
RK: I think basically they gave up They didn't know what to do.
JC: It looked, to me, that they kind of pigeonholed you with a rapper gimmick and it really didn't work.
RK: It would've worked. As a matter of fact, I produced some music I wrote that I could rap to.
I guess nobody put in for that. I started thinking about not getting writing credits. They wouldn’t give ideas. They just dropped the ball there. I was blackballed [at WWE]. It's like TNA is the quicker pick-me-upper.
JC: You and your fellow TNA wrestlers must be excited to be on SpikeTV...
RK: It's a lot of energy. It's like we're ready-to-go. I mean, man, like from day one - you know what I'm saying?
JC: Totally. I know you aren't head-to-head with WWE yet but signing Team 3D and Kevin Nash are huge. Plus, I'm sure there's a lot of free agents out there that TNA is trying to sign. Is it exciting for you when these guys drop in?
RK: I'm excited. I figure there's enough money to go around.
JC: Your stable, 3Live Cru, seems to be on to some big things, and already have built a fanbase.

RK: I relate to them. We actually have brotherly love and we hang together. That's what makes the group real.
JC: Speaking of real, your raps seem effortless. What do you think of a guy like John Cena in the WWE. He's running with the rapper gimmick now.
RK: I think that he wants to rap against me. TNA [probably] won't let me. He's not a real rapper. He has a smart [gimmick] but he's just a proxy.
JC: You think he's just a flash-in-the-pan?
RK: I think he'll work the gimmick for awhile.
JC: Who do you think had the worst gimmick in wrestling?
RK: [Laughs] There's a lot of them. I don't know. Doink the Clown? Because there were so many different motherf--kers [playing him].
JC: This has nothing to do with anything, but have you ever cried in a movie?
RK: [Laughs] That's a good one. I'll tell the truth. "Forrest Gump."
JC: Yes, I could see that, Moving on, since this is cheappop, have you ever been guilty of a cheap pop?
RK: Oh no man. I'm good to [the fans.] I don't do that.
JC: If given the opportunity, would you like to body slam Bette Midler?
RK: Who's Bette Midler?
JC: Oh, you know. Would you like to? Not to provide the opportunity.
RK: Yes, I would. Legdrops. Dropkicks...
JC: Ok, getting serious, what do you continue your best match to be?
RK: I've had so many great ones: Hardy. AJ Styles.
JC: What do you consider the most defining moment in your career?
RK: Unchained, TNA released me, gave me a mic and let me talk. That's probably the
time right there.
JC: Thanks, man. Now for the question on every fan's mind: What was your favorite bed-time story growing up?
RK: [Laughs] Was the ghetto man, no bedtime stories growing up - just sirens.
JC: Tough neighborhood, huh?
RK: Yeah. Tough life. I was right there.
JC: So basically if you told someone from the old neighborhood that you cried at "Forrest Gump" you'd get your ass kicked?
RK: I got a lot of respect there- they cry at movies, too.
JC: It takes a big man to admit he cries at movies.
RK: I'm human, man, a machine with a human heart.

No comments: